As we navigate the impacts of the coronavirus pandemic, we must prepare a little differently for other disasters that may affect our communities. It is difficult to think about, but hurricane season is next month and being prepared will help keep you safe.
Get A Kit
- Assemble an emergency preparedness kit
- Check what you have and buy what you need to complete your emergency kit. If you start now, you won’t have to stand in long lines or face empty shelves.
- Assemble a digital emergency kit
Make A Plan
- Create a household evacuation plan that includes your pets
- Create a plan to reconnect with loved ones if communication networks are down
- Review the Red Cross Hurricane Safety Page for checklists and information
- Educate your family on how to use the Safe and Well website
- Stay informed about your community’s risk and response plans.
- Listen to local area radio, NOAA radio or TV stations for the latest information and updates
- Download the free Red Cross Emergency App for safety tips, severe weather alerts and more
To learn how you can support American Red Cross safety, preparedness and relief efforts visit: https://www.redcross.org/local/texas/gulf-coast.html
Prepared by, Ekland Durousseau, Red Cross contributor